ELO program evaluation
Annual assessment process
The Next Steps NH project developed an ELO Practice Profile (PDF, 6 pages) to guide an annual assessment of the quality of your school’s ELO process. A practice profile lays out critical components for successful ELO program implementation and provides examples of unacceptable variations, emerging practices and the ideal “Gold Standard” for each component.
The four practice areas are:
- Policy level and administrative support
- Process and development of ELOs
- ELO development and monitoring
- Program evaluation
All stakeholders should be part of the assessment process:
- guidance counselors
- an ELO coordinator or facilitator
- community members
Use the results of your annual self-assessment to develop goals and plans to further improve the quality of ELOs at the school.
Other program assessment resources
Manchester School District created a Google survey to assess ELO activity for students in Special Education. The tool also assesses stakeholder knowledge of ELOs in general. Survey on ELOs for students in special education (Google), Survey on ELOs for students in special education (MSWord)
The Minimum Standards checklist (MSWord, 2 pages) will help you assess your ELO program against NH Minimum Standards, Section 306.27 (b).
The Best Practices Checklist (PDF, 5 pages) will help you assess where your school is compared to both compliance with NH Minimum Standards, and the more rigorous best practices. This tool pre-dates the ELO Fidelity Tool.
ELO Fidelity Tool
A fidelity tool helps you figure out your starting point (needs assessment) and track your progress by having you periodically assess where you are compared to clear goal statements.
The ELO Fidelity Tool is a data system developed by the Next Steps NH project for tracking school progress in implementing ELOs, based on the ELO Practice Profile. The tool will help schools track implementation progress across practices, as well as track implementation over time.
The ELO Fidelity Tool is an Excel file with four worksheets to complete. The last worksheet automatically shows your data in summary form for easier understanding and to track your progress.
ELO Fidelity Tool template (Excel)
Data entry page example
This is an example of a completed data entry worksheet for Policy Level and Administrative Support practices. To use the ELO Fidelity Tool, your team would rate your school’s degree of implementation for each of the critical components listed under each practice. You would:
- Determine if the critical component is in place (3), partially in place (2), or not in place (1).
- Set a priority for working on each critical component that is not already in place, using a 1 – 3 rating, where 3 is the highest priority.
- Make notes on each critical component, as well as list the evidence you used to determine the degree of implementation.
On this website
- Teacher survey (PDF)
- Teacher survey (MSWord)
- Student survey (PDF)
- Student survey (MSWord)
- ELO Practice profile (PDF)
- ELO Fidelity Tool (Excel)
- Minimum Standards checklist (MSWord)
- Minimum Standards checklist (PDF)
- Best Practices Checklist (PDF)